Canada Visit Visa

A visitor visa (also called a temporary resident visa) is an official document that we stick in your passport. It shows that you meet the requirements needed to enter Canada.

Most travellers need a visitor visa to travel to Canada. You may also need one if you’re transiting through a Canadian airport on your way to your final destination.

You can apply for a visitor visa online or on paper.


How long you can stay

Most visitors can stay for up to 6 months in Canada.

At the port of entry, the border services officer may allow you to stay for less or more than 6 months. If so, they’ll put the date you need to leave by in your passport. They might also give you a document, called a visitor record, which will show the date you need to leave by.

If you don’t get a stamp in your passport, you can stay for 6 months from the day you entered Canada or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. If you need a stamp, you can ask a border services officer for one. If you arrive at an airport that uses primary inspection kiosks, ask the border officer after you finish at the kiosk.

Make sure you need a visitor visa before you apply

You may need a visitor visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization. The entry document you need depends on:

  • The type of travel document you plan to travel with
  • The country that issued your travel document
  • Your nationality
  • Your method of travel to Canada for this trip

Apply Visit Visa

Australia Visit Visa

Visitor visa (subclass 600)

This visa stream lets you visit Australia as a tourist, to go on a cruise or to see family and friends.

With this visa you can

  • visit family or friends
  • be here as a tourist, for a cruise or for any purpose except business or medical treatment

You can study or train for up to 3 months in total on this visa. But if your main reason for travelling to Australia is study, a student visa might be more appropriate.

You can't work.


You will need a visa if you enter Australia during a cruise.

If your cruise is a round trip cruise, the time you spend on the cruise counts as time spent in Australia - that is, we do not consider you have left Australia. A round trip cruise will not reset your stay period on your visa.

Ask your cruise operator or travel agent if we consider your cruise to be a round trip cruise.

How long you can stay

This is a temporary visa.

You can stay for the period or dates specified on the visa grant letter. We determine the length of your visa on a case by case basis. Things we might consider when determining your stay period include:

  • how long you want to stay
  • why you want to stay in Australia

You might not be granted the length of stay you want.

We can grant this visa with one entry or multiple entries. If we grant you a visa with multiple entry, you can leave and re-enter Australia on the visa while it is valid. Generally we grant a stay period of 3 months, but we might grant a stay of up to 12 months in certain circumstances.

It is a condition of this visa that you don't stay in Australia for a total of more than 12 months in an 18-month period. If you currently hold a Visitor visa, a Working Holiday visa, a Work and Holiday visa or a bridging visa, and grant of this visa would mean you stay in Australia for more than 12 consecutive months, you will need to show there are exceptional circumstances.

Consider the Visitor visa (subclass 600) Frequent Traveller stream if:

  • You hold a passport from the People’s Republic of China and
  • You travel to Australia frequently

Apply Visit Visa

Schengen Visit Visa

Third-country nationals wishing to visit family members, friends or relatives living in the Schengen Zone may be a subject to the Schengen visa regime.

You need to apply for a Schengen Visitor Visa (Visa for the Purpose of Visiting Family, Friends or Relatives) if your nationality is on the list of countries whose nationals need a Schengen short-stay visa

What Documents are Required When Applying for a Schengen Visitor Visa?

The required documents for a Schengen Visa for Visiting Family, Friends or Relatives are as following:

  • Schengen visa application form. Filled with all the required information.
  • Two identical photos. Taken within the last three months, according to the requirements for Schengen visa photo.
  • Valid passport. Which has at least two blank pages, and a validity of three more months from the date you plan to leave Schengen. Passports older than ten years or extended passports will not be accepted.
  • Letter of Invitation. By the relative/friend residing in a Schengen country, attached with a copy of their passport. In case that the friend/relative is not a citizen of the Schengen country, the copy of the residency permit will also be required.
  • Roundtrip reservation or itinerary. This document should include the dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from the Schengen area. You can use visa consultation services like this one to get it.
  • Schengen Travel Insurance. A confirmation letter from your health insurance stating coverage for emergency medical treatment with a minimum of €30,000, including repatriation in case of death.
  • Travel Itinerary. A detailed description of your trip, the purpose of travelling, the time you will be spending there and all your personal data.
  • Means of Subsistence. You will need to prove that you have enough money to financially support yourself during your stay in the Schengen Zone. This could be any of the following:

    • Bank account statements.
    • Sponsorship Letter.A letter written by another person who is willing to pay all your expenses in the Schengen zone. In order for this letter to be valid it must be accompanied by their bank statements to prove they have the means to do so.
    • A combination of both.

  • Proof of accommodation.This could be any of the following:

    • House/Flat of your family member, relative or your friend who is inviting you.
    • Hotel / hostel booking.With the name of the place, its complete address and other contact details as phone and e-mail. It should also include the dates you will be staying there.
    • Rent contract.If you have rented a room / apartment / house in the country where you will stay.
    • Proof of family relationship (for relatives).
    • Evidence of employment status.

      • If employed:

        • Employment contract
        • Leave permission from the employer
        • Income Tax Return

      • If self-employed:

        • A copy of your business license
        • Company’s bank statement of the latest 6 months
        • Income Tax Return (ITR)

      • If a student:

        • Proof of enrollment &
        • No Objection Letter from University

    • Minor travelers:

      • Birth certificate
      • A minor accompanied by one parent should provide an original notarized NOC by the other parent, plus copies of parents passports or ID
      • A minor travelling alone shall provide an original notarized NOC by both parents / legal guardians, plus copies of parents passports or ID

Where to Submit a Schengen Visitor Visa Application?

If you want to visit your friends or family members residing in one of the Schengen states, you will need to apply from your home country. The number of countries you plan to visit determines where you should apply.

If you are going to visit only one Schengen country, then apply at its competent authorities in your country of residence, which may be:

  • Their embassy
  • Their consulate
  • A visa center to which this country has outsourced visa submission
  • The embassy / consulate of another country to which the country you are visiting has outsourced visa submission

On the other hand, if you will be visiting more than one Schengen member, then submit your application at the competent authority of the country where:

  • You will be staying more days
  • You will step in first, since you plan on spending the same amount of days in each country

How to Apply for a Schengen Visa for Visiting Family, Friends or Relatives?

To complete your Schengen Visa application for Visiting Family, Friends or Relatives, follow these steps:

  • Check if you qualify for a Schengen Visitor Visa.
  • Figure out where you should apply.
  • Find out what is the best time to file your visa application.
  • Fulfill the Schengen Visa application form.
  • Gather the required documents for Schengen Visa for visiting Family or Friends.
  • Make a visa interview appointment.
  • Attend your visa interview.
  • Pay the visa fee.
  • Wait for the embassy to process your visa application.

When to Apply for a Schengen Visa for Visiting Family, Friends or Relatives?

You should file your application for a Schengen Visa for Visiting Family or Friends no less than 15 calendar days before your planned trip to EU.

The Schengen states have a fixed policy on when you should file your application the earliest and the latest. While two weeks is the latest, the earliest you can submit your application for a Schengen Visa for Visiting Family or Friends is three months before your trip.

The best time to apply for an EU visa for the purpose of visiting Family members, Friends or Relatives is four weeks before your trip to Europe.

How Long Does it Take to Get a Schengen Visitor Visa?

You will have to wait at least 15 calendar days to get a response on your Schengen visa application for Visiting Family or Friends. The Schengen visa processing time around the world is approximately two weeks.

Still, depending on your case, your application may take longer to be processed. In specific cases, the embassies take 30 days to process a visa, whereas in extraordinary cases you will have to wait for 60 calendar days.

* During the June–August holiday period, the processing time could be longer.

How Long is the Schengen Visitor Visa Valid for?

The validity of your Schengen visa for Visiting Family or Friends in Europe depends on the embassy/consulate that issued you a visa. You can get a Schengen Visiting Relatives visa with the maximum validity of 90 days per 6 months.

However, the number of days that you are allowed to stay in the Schengen Area is specified on the Schengen visa sticker that is glued into your passport. If you encounter difficulties reading your visa sticker check How to read a Schengen visa sticker.

If you plan to stay in Europe for more than 90 days, then you should apply for a visitors’ residence permit.

Can I Extend a Schengen Visitor Visa?

You will be able to extend your Schengen Visa for Visiting Family, Friends or Relatives while being in Europe in very rare and specific occasions.

If you are applying to extend your Schengen visa in Europe, you must base your application on Humanitarian Reasons, Force Majeure, Important Personal Reasons or late entry into the Schengen Zone. In addition, you must fulfill extra requirements, as having the necessary financial means to remain in that country for the period you are applying for.

If Your Schengen Visitor Visa Application gets Rejected?

If your application for a Schengen visa for visiting Friends or Family in Europe is rejected, you can still apply again. This time try to avoid the previous mistakes.

However, if you believe that your visa has been rejected by mistake, then you can appeal the decision. You can do so by writing an Appeal Letter for EU Visa Refusal.

Apply Visit Visa

UK Visit Visa

You can apply for a Standard Visitor visa if you want to visit the UK:

  • for leisure, for example on holiday or to see your family and friends
  • for business, or to take part in sports or creative events


You must always show that:

  • you’ll leave the UK at the end of your visit
  • you’re able to support yourself and any dependents for the duration of your trip
  • you’re able to pay for your return or onward journey and any other costs relating to your visit
  • you have proof of any business or other activities you want to do in the UK, as allowed by the Visitor Rules

If you’re applying for a long-term Standard Visitor visa

You must prove that:

  • You’ll only ever need to come to the UK to visit, for example to go on holiday, see family or attend a meeting
  • You plan to leave the UK at the end of each visit

You may be given a visa for a shorter period than requested if you do not do this. You will not get a refund of the application fee if you get a shorter visa or your application is refused.

Your visa may be cancelled and you may get a long-term ban on visiting if your travel history shows you’re repeatedly living in the UK for extended periods.

If you’re applying as an academic

You can stay in the UK for 12 months if you’re applying as an academic. You must prove you’re highly qualified within your field of expertise, on sabbatical leave from your home institution and visiting to either:

  • Take part in a formal exchange with a UK counterpart
  • Carry out your own research
  • Take part in someone else’s research, teaching or clinical practice - as long as this does not involve filling a permanent teaching post

Documents you must provide

When you apply you’ll need to provide a current passport or other valid travel identification.

You need a blank page in your passport for your visa. Your passport should be valid for the whole of your stay in the UK.

You’ll also need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.

You’ll be told how to provide your documents when you apply.

Read the full list of supporting documents you can provide.

You might need to provide additional documents if you’re visiting the UK:

  • For private medical treatment
  • To apply as an organ donor
  • As an academic on sabbatical and want to stay for 12 months
  • As a prospective entrepreneur
  • To take the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test or sit the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE)
  • In transit to a country outside the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands

Other information you’ll need

You’ll need to provide the following:

  • The dates you’re planning to travel to the UK
  • Details of where you’ll be staying during your visit
  • How much you think your trip will cost
  • Your current home address and how long you’ve lived there
  • Your parents’ names and dates of birth
  • How much you earn in a year

You might also need:

  • Details of your travel history for the past 10 years (as shown in your passport)
  • Your employer’s address and telephone number
  • Your partner’s name, date of birth, and passport number
  • The name and address of anyone paying for your trip
  • The name, address and passport number of any family members you have in the UK
  • Details of any criminal, civil or immigration offences you have committed

If you're under 18

You can apply for a standard visitor visa if you’re under 18 and:

  • You’ve made suitable arrangements for your travel and stay in the UK
  • You have consent from your parent or guardian to travel to the UK
  • You’re able to pay for your return or onward journey
  • You have enough money to support yourself without working or getting help from public funds, or you have family and friends that can support you

Travelling alone

You can travel to the UK without an adult (someone over the age of 18).

Your parent or guardian will need to provide their:

  • Written consent for you to travel to the UK
  • Full contact details

They’ll also need to provide proof that you have somewhere suitable to live during your stay in the UK, including:

  • The name and date of birth of the person that you will be staying with
  • An address where you will be living
  • Details of your relationship to the person who’ll be looking after you
  • Consent in writing so they can look after you during your stay in the UK

Travelling with an adult

When travelling to the UK with an adult (someone over the age of 18), you’ll need to identify them in your visa application.

If the person you’re travelling with is not your parent, you’ll need to provide specific information about them in your application.

Their name will appear on your visa, and you’ll be refused entry to the UK if you arrive in the UK without them.

You can identify up to 2 adults in your visa application, and your visa will only be valid if you travel with at least one of them.

The adult can apply for a visa at the same time, but you must each complete separate applications.

Extend your visa

You may be able to extend your visa as long as the total time you spend in the UK is less than 6 months. For example if you apply for a 3 month visa, you can apply to extend it for 3 more months.

You should apply before your current visa expires.

If you’re receiving private medical treatment in the UK

You can apply to extend your visa for a further 6 months if you:

  • Have paid for any treatment you’ve already had in the UK
  • Can and will pay the further costs of your treatment
  • Continue to meet the eligibility requirements

You must also get a medical practitioner or NHS consultant who’s registered in the UK to provide:

  • Proof of arrangements for your private medical consultation or treatment
  • A letter saying how long your treatment is likely to take
  • Details of the progress of your treatment, if it’s already started

Apply Visit Visa